Healthy Twist Roast Chicken Dinner
Who doesn't love a Sunday roast with all the trimmings?! Chicken, spuds, gravy covered vegetables and stuffing. Sounds delicious right? If only we could eat that way al week long. Unfortunately most of us can't! So here's our healthier, low carb, budget friendly version that both you and your wasitline can afford to eat 7 days a week. It's also great for those of you who like to meal prep, as it easily makes 4 portions.
See photo above!
Note: I always recommend spending an extra few euro and getting a free range or if you can afford it an organic chicken. It tastes better and is much better quality.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180degrees and place the whole chicken onto an oven tray, that has been lined with tinfoil.
2. In a small dish melt 80g of real butter. To the butter add 1 tbsp of rosemary, 1 tbsp of basil, 1 tsp of garlic and 1tsp of salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Massage the butter mix into the front of the chicken and cover the chicken with tinfoil. Place in the oven for approx 1 hour for a 1.5kg bird (you'll be cooking it for a further 25mins without the tinfoil).
4. Slice the butternut squash in half, drizzle with olive oil and season
with salt, pepper and some garlic (fresh or granules). Place in the oven, under the chicken for 1 hour. Until it's soft to touch but not mushy!
5. After 1 hour remove the tinfoil from the chicken and put back into the oven to brown and develop a crispy skin. Baste the chicken with any juice that have come out.
6. While the chicken to browning, prepare the vegetables. Chop the ends off the asparagus and cut until 3 parts. Take both ends off the green beans and slice the courgette into circles. Lastly dice the onion.
7. Heat a frying pan with some butter and fry off the onion and green vegetables. Season to taste and cook till al dente!
8. Once the chicken skin is crispy, remove it from the oven and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Don't try to carve it straight away because it will fall apart.
9. Slice the butternut squash until chunky sections, serve the veggies, carve the chicken and enjoy!