I first made this spiced chickpea salad for @yourwellnesscollective first Masterclass at the start of March and it was a massive hit with everyone (thankfully 🥰).
This is a really simple salad to make, the vegetables in the salad can be whatever you have in the house and the dressing is light and zingy. It's the perfect salad for getting you into a summery mood now that the days are longer and the sun is out. It's also packed with protein and fibre.
•100g dried chickpeas
•2 small cucumbers (280g)
•2 large tomatoes (300g)
•1 small red onion, peeled
•1 red pepper, seeds and pith removed
•15g flat-leaf parsley, picked and roughly chopped
•120ml olive oil
•Grated zest of 2 lemons, plus 50ml lemon juice
•30ml sherry vinegar
•1 clove garlic, crushed
•1 tsp sugar
•1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
•1 tsp ground cardamom
•1½ tsp ground allspice
•1 tsp ground cumin
•Salt & black pepper
1. Cut the cucumber, tomato, onion, radish and pepper into 1cm dice, and mix with the coriander and parsley.
2. In a jar or sealable container, put 75ml of olive oil with the lemon juice and zest, vinegar, garlic and sugar, shake and season to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss lightly.
3. Mix together the cardamom, allspice, cumin and a quarter-teaspoon of salt, and spread on a plate. Toss the drained chickpeas in the spice mixture in batches, to coat well.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and over medium heat lightly fry the chickpeas for two to three minutes, gently shaking the pan so they cook evenly and don't stick. Keep warm.
5. Divide the salad between four plates, arranging it in a large circle with a slight indent in the middle, and spoon the warm chickpeas in the centre.
* I split the ingredients in half for the portion in the image above!